Find out what you can do to put your faith in action by serving others.
Have you taken your youth or gone yourself to another state or country for an immersion experience but do not know how to connect with issues in your backyard? The Urban Immersion is designed to provide an experience for youth, families, and/or adults to learn about poverty and other issues that affect people in your local community.
The Urban Immersion includes an opportunity to learn more about what you can do to alleviate suffering and to follow Jesus’ command to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, welcome the stranger, and visit the sick and those in prison.
The Urban Immersion experience is divided into three parts:
1) laying the foundation for the experience through learning why people are in poverty or suffer from injustice and how our faith calls us to respond;
2) visiting local service agencies, outreach organizations, or other hidden places and hearing from people directly affected by poverty or some other social issue or injustice;
3) creating an action plan to address an issue in your local community or to begin a relationship with a local service organization, which includes bringing in the larger community to help support and engage in the issue themselves.
The goal of the weekend is to bring Matthew 25 to life in a tangible and discover how you can make a difference!
Current Urban Immersion Offerings:
- November 17-19, 2017, for adult JustFaith graduates and Center for Social Ministry friends
- Please contact us if you would like to bring Urban Immersion to your youth group, congregation, or organization.
- $75 per participant
- Partial and full scholarships are available
- To sponsor an Urban Immersion in your congregation, contact the Center for Social Ministry for a group rate.
- Share our flyer with your community
- Register Online
- Call 515-782-3054
- Email email@example.com
For more information or to bring Urban Immersion to your community:
Contact Susie Tierney at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-782-3054